Saturday, April 28, 2007

Wanted: A TRUE Conservative Candidate

When one surveys the political landscape in America, it soon becomes crystal clear that there is something missing. That something is a true rarity these days..........an honest to goodness conservative presidential candidate.

I'm not talking about the long list of "RINO's" out there who "claim" to be conservative. I'm talking about a conservative in the vein of Ronald Reagan. That my friend is a scarce commodity. As scarce as a liberal tax cut. I'm not sure if one even exists and like the idea of a liberal tax cut, it's been so long since I've seen one, I'm not so sure I'd recognize it at first.

There are a couple of names floating about that have not officially announced their intention of running for the 2008 nomination, but if they did, they just might be considered "true" conservatives. Newt Gingrich and Fred Thompson come to mind. Newt's a brilliant guy and I love listening to him when he speaks or debates an issue, but I'm he may simply have to many negatives to actually have a real shot at the nomination. Also, intellectual types are rarely able to "stir the masses" and generate real enthusiasm.

Fred Thompson on the other hand, just by mentioning that he is considering a run seems to have stirred up the base a bit. I don't know what it is about him, maybe it's his "star" quality, or maybe its simply a matter of charisma, but when the guy is talking, you tend to listen to him. He simply sounds credible and he sounds as if he actually believes what he's saying.

There have been several occasions when Fred didn't follow the pack and stood on principle for what he believed in and that's always a plus. There are far too many politicians who flop around issues like a small mouth bass that fell off the stringer onto the dock when getting out of the boat.

Toss in the fact that he used to date gorgeous country singer Lorrie Morgan, and the guy has got to have something going for him. I'm not sure if he's in the same league with Ronald Reagan. Few men are, trust me. But, he does offer at least some hope that there just might be at least one conservative, who actually has true conservative values at his core, willing to run for President in 2008.

If you spot a true conservative among the pack, be sure to let me know. Better yet, take a picture before the breed vanishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home